Tuesday 8 October 2013

You never know.....


Giant Atlas moth found on windowsill in Ramsbottom

24 October 2012 Last updated at 13:03 Help
A giant moth with a 1ft (30cm) wingspan has been found on a windowsill in Greater Manchester.

The Atlas moth is the biggest moth in the world and is normally found thousands of miles away in South East Asia.

When it landed at a house in Ramsbottom, it was so large the Blackmore family "thought it was a bat".

The moth, which only lives for a week, has since died but 30 of its offspring are being reared at a butterfly farm in Bolton.

How the moth arrived in Ramsbottom is a mystery although it's believed to have escaped from a private collection.

For video go to BBC News online

2 comments:

  1. I may come from Ramsbottom...but it wasn't me!! When this first appeared in the press I was getting messages asking if it was me that had lost it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Ina, do you think you could find out who it was because I'd love one to come to my windowsill!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.