Wednesday 27 May 2020

Day fliers and trap raider

Most early evenings over the last ten days or so I have noted up to 6 Grass Rivulets flying in my small field at Troedrhiw Seiri, Bontgoch, and this morning I was surprised to see a Small Yellow Underwing nectaring on daisies on my 'lawn'. I also had a second garden visit of the year by a Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary.
Having recorded a mere 20 moths (10 species) for the Moth-a -Thon, last night was a different story. For a start there was a Great Tit keen to get out of the trap having first killed half a dozen moths. Fortunately most of the 100 moths (30 species) were unharmed and seemingly oblivious to the mayhem.

Grass Rivulet

Small Yellow Underwing

Knot Grass & Brimstone

Poplar Grey

1 comment:

  1. That looks like my kind of lawn. Only 29 county records of Small Yellow Underwing. No records between 1989 and 2010, 16 records since with 7 of those in 2017.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.