Monday 5 June 2023

Lime Hawk-moth and Obscure Wainscot

 The end of May and beginning of June has seen moth numbers pick up, thank goodness.  There are quite a few species that I have missed out on this year but at 22:45 on 31st May I looked out of the window to check the trap before going to bed and got a surprise!

Not believing my eyes I had to unlock and go outside to get a better look.  My eyes were not deceiving me,  it was a Lime Hawk-moth the first in 75 years and only the second recorded in vc46.


My next treat was at Ynys-hir on the morning of the 3rd June.  Pot that up for later was all that went through my head as there were quite a few individuals surrounding and on the outside of the trap.  about an hour later...right, "What's this odd looking Wainscot" I ask myself.  I've seen one of these before but what the devil is it called?... Thinking cap firmly on and daylight dawned, eventually.  Not called Obscure Wainscot for nothing.


Ina Smith



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.