Sunday, 19 June 2016

Caterpillar ID help needed

Has anyone come across one of these caterpillars before?  I thought with the bright colouration and banding that it would be obvious, but I can't seem to ID it.  It was on Blackthorn and was just positioned on the branch as in the photo, which made me think it was a Geometridae but obviously this is a big group.  I've checked through the pugs on the UKleps website but still no joy.

Edit 21st June:  I've found a similar caterpillar (V-pug) on this site but it doesn't match the description in Porter - any thoughts?
 http://www.lepiforum.de/lepiwiki.pl?Chloroclystis_V-Ata

6 comments:

  1. I have been through all the Blackthorn feeders on ukleps with no success. Here's hoping someone out there can throw some light. There is always the possibility that it is not a Blackthorn feeder and just passing through so to speak.
    It looks very distinctive! Annoying!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for trying. I agree, it's quite possible it wasn't a Blackthorn feeder. Hope someone recognises it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't spot it in a borrowed copy of Porter. I thought I'd be clever and checked the list of species not illustrated, None of them seem to be Blackthorn feeders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for having a try, David. I have a copy of Porter but it still hasn't helped!

    ReplyDelete
  5. V Pug was the closest I could find, but didn't look exactly the same. Double-striped has also been suggested but cannot find a similar photo of that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. V-Pug seems most likely - see edit in original post for web link. Thanks for all the help.

    ReplyDelete