Thursday, 15 May 2014

Micro moths on Aberporth coastal path

It was warm and humid this morning so I thought I'd have a look for micro moths along the coastal path from Aberporth to Tresaith.  I found quite a few - mostly Micropterix calthella and Glyphipterix simpliciella in various flowers.  There were also 2 Elachista argentella, 1 Micropterix aruncella (there were probably more of these around but I didn't photograph or check every one) and one other micro moth which I found on gorse and I could do with some help identifying (possibly Cydia ulicetana?)
Elachista argentella

Micropterix calthella

Glyphipterix simpliciella

Cydia ulicetana?

5 comments:

  1. They all look spot on to me Sarah. We have found a few C.ulicetana on the coast path at Clarach this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ina - really helps to get them checked. Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a good time to look around Gorse bushes in the daytime. Cydia ulicetana swarms around them at this time of year. I've found them in high numbers in the past at Cors Ian and Cors Caron.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter, were they on gorse at Cors caron? If so where?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Liz, yes they were. Towards Ystrad Meurig on the old railway line, there's clumps of gorse along there.

    ReplyDelete